A super visa is a multi-entry visa applied for from outside of Canada that provides multiple entries for a period up to 10 years. It allows the visa holder to visit his/her children or grandchildren for up to 2 years at a time without having to apply each time they wish to visit. To be eligible for a super visa, the applicant must meet the basic requirements:
- be the parent or grandparent of a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada
- have a signed letter from the child or grandchild inviting the applicant (which must include specific information such as a promise of financial support for the length of the visit, the list and number of people in the household of this person, etc.)
- provide a copy of the child or grandchild´s Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
- have medical insurance from a Canadian insurance company that is valid for at least 1 year from the date of entry and have proof of paid coverage of at least $100,000
- give your biometrics
Apart from these basic requirements, the applicant must still meet certain other conditions such as a specific amount of financial support, take an immigration medical exam, prove s/he is a genuine visitor and will leave by choice at the end of the visit, etc. The child or grandchild must also meet certain requirements.
One may also need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) separately in order to be permitted to travel to and enter Canada. The eTA is electronically linked to the passport, therefore the applicant must travel with the same passport used to apply for the eTA, and the Super Visa letter to facilitate travel to Canada.
If you need assistance with the Super Visa application, you can get help from your Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant (RCIC) who can quickly submit it online via the authorized representative portal which provides many advantages:
- No courier fees or mail delivery time – IRCC gets your application instantly as online applications are processed more quickly
- Avoid processing delays – Applying online and with an RCIC helps ensure the application is complete before being submitted (incomplete applications are returned to the applicant which causes long delays)
- You don´t need to submit your passport until it´s required/requested
- Get updates on the status of your application while its being processed